Or paratife Salmonellosis in cats
Salmonellosis – is a term which refers to all infectious diseases in animals, birds and people, which are the causative agents of all bacteria of the genus Salmonella. With this disease, the clinical signs appear, such as septicemia and toxemia, and begins inflammation of the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract.
This disease is usually particularly susceptible puppies in the age of one or two months. This is due to the fact that the older the cat gets, the stronger it gets immunity and strengthens the barrier of the gastrointestinal tract, which is more perfect and can be a barrier to salmonellosis.
Causes of Salmonella or paratyphoid fever in cats
The impetus for the development of the disease is a virus belonging to the family of entero bacteria, which is composed of twenty genera. As a rule, the cat appears this disease due to viruses of three types: S. enteritidis, S. typhimurium and S. suipestifer. Infected cat (and people too) can after consuming meat from animals in which blood had salmonella virus. These viruses can remain active:
1. In the water – one hundred and twenty days, t. E. About four months;
2. In the meat and sausage products – from sixty to one hundred and twenty days. In other words, from two to four months;
3. In cheese and frozen meat salmonella virus can be stored for about a year;
4. In cold milk – twenty days, and in that which is not in the fridge – ten;
5. The soil retains the activity of the virus for eighteen months;
6. In butter – about four months.
Note that milk and raw meat can not just sustain life salmonella virus, but also indulge his breeding. And that is the most horrible food while will retain its flavor. Salted and smoked products are practically no effect on the virus. As for the infected eggs, then they are its taste, smell and appearance, are no different from their normal “brothers».
The course of the disease or paratyphoid Salmonella in cats
Once the virus enters the body of your cat along with food, animal from the outset did not feel the disease, as it at first penetration into the organism acquires a latent, or hidden form percolation. At this stage, the animal can excrete the bacteria together with feces. However, this does not help bring the virus from the body since it does not happen very often, and the concentration of virus emerging from the body is quite small. Furthermore intestinal viruses salmonella on the latent stage of striking, and lymph nodes and other organs of the animal. And under adverse external and internal conditions of the organism cat stopped resisting and gives fertile soil for the development of animal salmonellosis.
The most naughty is the fact that the cat has thousands of different symptoms of the disease, resulting in an accurate diagnosis without laboratory studies virtually impossible. In this period of the incubation period still veers between the twelve-hours a day and three days, and sometimes more. There are three forms of the disease:
1. Acute. In this case, the body temperature rises to cats, or even forty and forty-one degrees Centigrade and lasts until the end of the disease, the animal begins to suffer from diarrhea and sometimes vomiting. Kittens disease robs power, and they are almost all the time, their eyes were at the same sink and begin to tear. In that case, if the animal falls into a coma, then after two or three days, usually an animal dies.
2. Under sharp. In this form of the cat increases overall body temperature (40 degrees Celsius), begins to intestinal upset, loss of appetite and the animal falls into a depression. Cal becomes thin and watery, and sometimes during a bowel movement with feces goes mucus and sometimes blood. Often a cat’s symptoms of pneumonia and rhinitis. A week or two animal dies as a result of depletion;
3. Chronic. This is the most severe form, in which the animal has attacks then constipation, then diarrhea. Plus, can develop a strong anemia and purulent conjunctivitis. Killed the cat as much as three or even four weeks after infection.
Diagnostics or paratyphoid Salmonella in cats
Diagnosing the disease is only possible by means of the results of laboratory tests and studies. Thus it is necessary to take into account the clinical and epizootologicheskie data. Identify the disease through clinical signs is virtually impossible.
In the treatment of salmonellosis special attention is usually given to symptomatic therapy. It is necessary to urgently take all measures that can prevent dehydration of the body of the cat. If the animal begins intoxication, must quickly carry out a course of detoxification of the body. For antimicrobial therapy used sulfa drugs such as Biseptol or furazolidone. Also these drugs are used antibiotics: ampicillin, and oxytetracycline levomitsitin. The cat should use these drugs every day inside for four or six days.
Treatment of salmonellosis or paratyphoid fever in cats
In addition to antibiotics and sulfa drugs recommended glucocorticoids and antihistamines.
All of these drugs are needed in order to increase the reactivity of the body of the cat.
As for prevention, then it must be observed without fail. And more attention should be given to pregnant and lactating cats and little kittens, who not long ago were separated from the mother’s breast. They need to give as a food fish and meat products only the highest quality of production, as well as milk and eggs. Be sure to include in the diet of greens and vegetables. In that case, if you decide to change one food to another, do it as gently as possible. Sharpness in such matters can harm animals, especially if we are talking about the very first days of feeding. Because, unfortunately, the vaccine, which would be an ideal preventive agent of this disease has not yet been invented.